Licenses, Permits & Forms
Applying for a permit or license is easy!
- Print the appropriate form below and complete it.
- Pay in person at Mahtomedi City Hall or you may also mail your completed form with fee to:
Mahtomedi City Hall
600 Stillwater Road
Mahtomedi, MN 55115.
Remember to call Gopher State One Call before you dig!
General Applications & Forms
- 2021 FINAL Fee Schedule (PDF)
- 2021 Fire Hydrant Usage Agreement (PDF)
- 2021 Licensed Tree Contractors (PDF)
- 2020-2021 Tree Trimming Contractors License Application (PDF)
- 2021 Information Disclosure Request Data Practices Form (PDF)
- 2021 MA Freestanding Solar PV Inspections Checklist (PDF)
- 2021 MA Rooftop Solar PV Application Checklist (PDF)
- 2021 Maht Building Permit Application (PDF)
- 2021 Maht Fire Related Building Permit Application (PDF)
- 2021 Maht Mechanical Permit Application (PDF)
- 2021 Maht Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)
- 2021 Maht Sewer Water Permit Application (PDF)
- 2021 Maht Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- 2021 Mechanical Contractors License Application (PDF)
- 2021 Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Appliance/Toilet Rebate Application Form (PDF)
- Application for Rezoning, CUP or Subdivision (PDF)
- Electrical Permit - 2021 - 1-2 Family Dwellings (PDF)
- Electrical Permit - 2021 - Non-Dwellings Multi Family Dwellings (PDF)
- Home Occupation Application (PDF)
- License Request - Pursuant to Laws of Minnesota (Revised)
- Licensee Tax Information (PDF)
- MA Backflow Preventer Device and Test (PDF)
- Mahtomedi Contractor's License Application (PDF)
- Mahtomedi Right-of-Way Permit (PDF)
- Mahtomedi Tree Preservation Plan Form (PDF)
- Peddler Solicitor Permit Application (PDF)
- Subdivision - Rezoning Request Application (PDF)
- Variance Application (PDF)
- Wetland Alteration Permit Application (PDF)
Mahtomedi Temporary Outdoor Premises Application (COVID-19)
- Building Permit
- Chicken Keeping Permit
- City Hall Reservation
- Dog License
- Driver's License
- Electrical Permit
- Fence Requirements
- Goat Keeping
- Home Occupation
- Mailbox Reimbursement Form
- Mechanical Permit
- Park Reservations
- Plumbing Permit
- Rental Housing License
- Tree Trimming Contractor
Building permits are required for new construction and most remodeling projects. Some of the most commonly obtained permits are for:
Allow at least five to seven business days from the date the permit and all required information is received by the Building Official for approval on residential and commercial permits. Separate permits are needed for mechanical, plumbing and electrical. Homeowners can do their own work.
However, if a contractor is performing the work, they must be either State or City licensed. Building permits for new construction require two sets of plans, a certificate of survey, and energy calculations. For remodeling, decks, or other work, two sets of plans are required.
Learn more about integrating energy efficiency into your home renovation project. Review this guide to helping you make energy-efficient choices when planning your new construction or renovation project. Check out the full list of XcelEnergy Residential Programs and Rebates to save money on new equipment and improvements.
Business Building Construction
Take the first step with a free energy assessment. Visit Minnesota Engergy Smart or call 651-292-3902. Check out the full list of XcelEnergy Business Programs and Rebates to save money on new equipment and improvements. Talk to an energy efficiency specialist for free advice by calling 855-839-8862.
City Hall Reservation Form
Usage of City Hall requires an application (PDF) to be filled out and a $200 damage deposit. There is no charge for using City Hall. All or part of the damage deposit will be returned upon a satisfactory inspection of the facility after use.
All dogs are required to be licensed in Mahtomedi. A certificate of rabies vaccination is required. Visit our Animal Control page to learn more about pet licensing.
Dog licenses must be purchased at Mahtomedi City Hall. They are not available for purchase online. Download the Dog License Application (PDF).
As a result of the recent State Government shutdown, cities that contracted with the State for electrical inspections were not able to have these inspections performed during the time of the work stoppage. Many cities drafted ordinances that provide the ability to perform the inspections despite the shut down by having cities contracting directly with qualified electrical inspectors. Mahtomedi contracted with the State to have electrical inspections performed. The electrical inspector was contracted with the State to perform the inspections and the State received all the inspection fees.
On July 19, 2011, the City Council approved an Ordinance amending Chapter 4 and establishing an electrical inspections program. This will provide the ability for the City to directly contract with an electrical inspector for electrical inspections and collect the fees instead of the State collecting the fees. The City Council also approved a contract between the City and Mr. Joe Wheaton to perform electrical inspections for the City of Mahtomedi. Mr. Wheaton is a qualified and licensed electrical inspector and is the current State contracted electrical inspector for the Central Washington County area which includes the City of Mahtomedi.
Permit applications are available at City Hall. Mr. Wheaton can be contacted at 612-866-3784, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
FENCE PERMIT APPLICATION PROCEDURE
The City of Mahtomedi requires property owners wishing to install fencing on their property to apply for a zoning permit prior to installation. Please read the attached copy of the City's code requirements. A site plan outlining your lot lines, placement of your house/outbuildings and the proposed location of the fencing is required. Also indicate the type and height of the fencing that you wish to install.
Please call City Hall at 651-426-3344 with any additional questions you may have.
Pkm: Revised 4-17-19
Mechanical permits are required for installation of a new furnace, air conditioner, or for other work relating to heating and ventilating. Homeowners can perform their own work. All mechanical contractors must be city licensed.
Rental of park shelters is provided at three of our parks. Residents may also reserve a canoe storage rack. For more information on our rentals, please visit our Reservations page.