Licenses, Permits & Forms
Applying for a permit or license is easy!
- Print the appropriate form below and complete it.
Please note: In addition to the appropriate license application, the State of Minnesota requires this form License Request Form - Pursuant to Laws of Minnesota (Revised) to be completed for licenses we issue except dog licenses.
- Please call City Hall at 651-426-3344 for information as to where to bring/mail your completed permit form for processing.
Please note: the City of White Bear Lake Building Department handles all of Mahtomedi's building, mechanical, plumbing, fire and zoning permits as well as all inspections related to those permits. They can be reached at 651-429-8518 or https://www.whitebearlake.org/building
Remember to call Gopher State One Call before you dig!
Effective January 1, 2024
A 3.25% convenience fee will be applied to all electronic transactions.
This does NOT apply to Utility Billing Payments or Cash Transactions.
General Applications & Forms
- 2024 Final Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Maht Backflow Preventer Device and Test (PDF)
- Maht Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Maht Fire Related Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Fire Hydrant Usage Agreement (PDF)
- Maht Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)
- Maht Sewer Water Permit Application (PDF)
- Maht Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- Tree Trimming Contractors License Application (PDF)
- Information Disclosure Request Data Practices Form (PDF)
- MA Freestanding Solar PV Inspections Checklist (PDF)
- MA Rooftop Solar PV Application Checklist (PDF)
- Sign Permit Application (PDF)
- Appliance/Toilet Rebate Application Form (PDF)
- Electrical Permit - 1-2 Family Dwellings (PDF)
- Electrical Permit - Non-Dwellings Multi Family Dwellings (PDF)
- Home Occupation Application (PDF)
- License Request Form - Pursuant to Laws of Minnesota (Revised)
- Mahtomedi Contractor's License Application (PDF)
- Mahtomedi Right-of-Way Permit (PDF)
- Mahtomedi Tree Preservation Plan Form (PDF)
- Peddler Solicitor Permit Application (PDF)
- Land Use Application (PDF)
- Variance Application (PDF)
- Wetland Alteration Permit Application (PDF)
- Licensed Tree Contractors (PDF)
- Building Permit
- Chicken Keeping Permit
- City Hall Reservation
- Dog License
- Driver's License
- Electrical Permit
- Fence Requirements
- Goat Keeping
- Home Occupation
- Mailbox Reimbursement Form
- Massage Therapy
- Mechanical Permit
- Park Reservations
- Plumbing Permit
- Rental Housing License
- Tree Trimming Contractor
Building permits are required for new construction and most remodeling projects. Some of the most commonly obtained permits are for:
Allow at least five to seven business days from the date the permit and all required information is received by the Building Official for approval on residential and commercial permits. Separate permits are needed for mechanical, plumbing and electrical. Homeowners can do their own work.
However, if a contractor is performing the work, they must be either State or City licensed. Building permits for new construction require two sets of plans, a certificate of survey, and energy calculations. For remodeling, decks, or other work, two sets of plans are required.
Learn more about integrating energy efficiency into your home renovation project. Review this guide to helping you make energy-efficient choices when planning your new construction or renovation project. Check out the full list of XcelEnergy Residential Programs and Rebates to save money on new equipment and improvements.
Business Building Construction
Take the first step with a free energy assessment. Visit Minnesota Engergy Smart or call 651-292-3902. Check out the full list of XcelEnergy Business Programs and Rebates to save money on new equipment and improvements. Talk to an energy efficiency specialist for free advice by calling 855-839-8862.
City Hall Reservation Form
Usage of City Hall requires an application (PDF) to be filled out and a $200 damage deposit. There is no charge for using City Hall. All or part of the damage deposit will be returned upon a satisfactory inspection of the facility after use.
All dogs are required to be licensed in Mahtomedi. A certificate of rabies vaccination is required. Visit our Animal Control page to learn more about pet licensing.
Dog licenses must be purchased at Mahtomedi City Hall. They are not available for purchase online. Download the Dog License Application (PDF).
Mr. Wheaton is a qualified and licensed electrical inspector and is the current State contracted electrical inspector for the Central Washington County area which includes the City of Mahtomedi.
Permit applications are available at City Hall. Mr. Wheaton can be contacted at 612-866-3784, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
FENCE PERMIT APPLICATION PROCEDURE
The City of Mahtomedi requires property owners wishing to install fencing on their property to apply for a zoning permit prior to installation. Please read the attached copy of the City's code requirements. A site plan outlining your lot lines, placement of your house/outbuildings and the proposed location of the fencing is required. Also indicate the type and height of the fencing that you wish to install.
Please call City Hall at 651-426-3344 with any additional questions you may have.
Mechanical permits are required for installation of a new furnace, air conditioner, or for other work relating to heating and ventilating. Homeowners can perform their own work. All mechanical contractors must be city licensed.
Rental of park shelters is provided at three of our parks. Residents may also reserve a canoe storage rack. For more information on our rentals, please visit our Reservations page.
Plumbing permits are required for water meter installations and inside plumbing work. Plumbers must be State licensed.