The City of Mahtomedi recently adopted a 20 miles per hour (MPH) speed limit on all local City streets, except collector streets, which would be reduced to 25 MPH. The City Council took this action in response to an overwhelming response during a recent City survey, that a reduction in speed limits was desired. The ability to lower the speed limit on City streets was just recently granted by the State Legislature. It is felt that lowering the speed limits makes the streets safer for all users, while still allowing for acceptable vehicular circulation. These reduced speed limits do not apply to County roads and State highways. Those roadways are: Hilton Trail, Stillwater Road, Wildwood Road, Century Avenue and Mahtomedi Avenue. Those roadways will remain as currently posted.
Certain Collector streets will be reduced to 25 MPH. Those streets are:
- Quail Street from Briarwood Avenue to border with City of Dellwood
- Briarwood Avenue from Dwinnell Avenue to Hallam Avenue
- Hallam Avenue from Briarwood Avenue to Juniper Street
- Maple Street from Mahtomedi Avenue to Hallam Avenue
- Hickory Street from Mahtomedi Avenue to border with the City of Grant
- Warner Avenue from Maple Street to border with the City of Pine Springs
- East Avenue from Hickory Street to Stillwater Road
- Hallam Avenue from Stillwater Road to 72nd Street
- 72nd Street from Hilton Trail to Warner Avenue
- Lincolntown Avenue from Long Lake Road to Wildwood Road
- Wedgewood Drive from CSAH 12 (Wildwood Road) to border with the City of White Bear Lake at Riviera Drive
Long Lake Road from Century Avenue to Echo Lake Ave will remain at 30 MPH as posted.
Over the next several weeks the signs will be posted by the City’s Public Works Department at key locations throughout the City. Safe travels to all and slow down and be safe.