The Washington County Sheriff’s Office is proud to serve the citizens of Mahtomedi, Willernie, Dellwood and Birchwood Village. We are committed to working together to make them safe communities.
Recently there has been a spike in home burglaries in the metro area. Suspects have broken into vehicles parked outside or in driveways. They have used the garage remote controls left in the vehicles to gain access into the residence.
This has not been reported within the Mahtomedi Contract cities. However, the Sheriff’s Office is asking for your assistance in helping to prevent burglaries by considering practicing some of the following tips:
- Lock all vehicle doors and do not leave valuable items in your vehicle
- Remove garage door openers if you have to leave your vehicle outside
- Close and lock all doors of your home
- Consider closing lower level windows of your home to prevent access
- Consider home security systems
- Consider leaving exterior lighting on at night or installing motion activated lighting
- Limit or trim large shrubbery around lower level windows of your home
- If going out of town for an extended period you may want to have your mail held & newspaper delivery stopped and consider letting WCSO know the dates you will be gone and request a
Vacation Check of your residence.
- Report any suspicious vehicles or people to WCSO so a deputy can respond to the area. Try to gather as much descriptive info as possible (clothing, age, male/female, type of
vehicle/color/plate info and direction of travel).
Looking out for one another in your community not only helps each other but it helps us when we are responding to your calls. You are our biggest asset in helping to prevent crime.
Washington County Burglary Notice (PDF)